Everyday Oral Surgery Podcast
Have you ever been talking with other surgeons about the way they do things in their practice and you heard something that helped you out? This podcast is meant to give you an insight into the way other surgeons do things and think about things. Sometimes small changes can make a big difference in your daily routine.
In the US, the majority of oral maxillofacial surgeons work in private practice settings, where anesthesia is a mainstay of their practice. This has led to the development of strict in-office anesthesia models, evaluations, and guidelines. Joining us to offer his perspective on preparing for in-office anesthesia evaluations, emergency drills, and more is Dr. Dean DeLuke, an oral maxillofacial surgeon practicing in Richmond, Virginia, and a professor in the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at the Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) School of Dentistry. In today’s episode, Dr. DeLuke highlights the importance of being well-organized, doing regular emergency drills, empowering your staff as vital members of your team, building relationships with your local emergency response team, and more. For tips to enhance your in-office anesthesia safety, skills, administration, and monitoring, tune in today!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Outlining the purpose of in-office anesthesia evaluations.
- New regulations in the anesthesia space, including quarterly mock emergency drills.
- Tips for preparing your team for an in-office anesthesia evaluation.
- Guidelines for organizing your emergency drug kit.
- Common anesthesia mistakes and how to avoid them.
- Practical resources and recommendations for surgeons doing daily anesthetics.
- Challenges presented by GLP-1 receptor agonist drugs and how to navigate them.
- Responding to anesthesia complications related to obesity and other comorbidities.
- Recommended reads, things to watch, and more!
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Dr. Dean DeLuke — https://dentistry.vcu.edu/contacts/profile/dean-deluke/
Dr. Dean DeLuke on LinkedIn — https://www.linkedin.com/in/dean-deluke-631b1b19/
Dr. Dean DeLuke Email — email@example.com
OMSNIC — https://www.omsnic.com/
American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons (AAOMS) — https://myoms.org/
Dr. Robert C. Bosack — https://www.bosack.net/
Carl Hiaasen — https://carlhiaasen.com/
Bad Monkey — https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AP2VR8W
The In-Between — https://www.amazon.com/dp/059349993X
Everyday Oral Surgery Website — https://www.everydayoralsurgery.com/
Everyday Oral Surgery on Instagram — https://www.instagram.com/everydayoralsurgery/
Everyday Oral Surgery on Facebook — https://www.facebook.com/EverydayOralSurgery/
Dr. Grant Stucki Email — firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Grant Stucki Phone — 720-441-6059
KLS Martin — https://www.klsmartin.com/